I’ve Never Seen Anything So Horrifying, Tearful, And Beautiful. This Is The Stuff You Never Forget.
December 7, 2013
Now that the year will be quickly drawing to a close, we wanted to remember some of the downright insane things have have happened this year. From the deadly to the triumphant, 2013 has been filled with events that none of us will soon forget. Countless people were injured by bombings, civil uprisings and natural disasters. However, within that tragedy, humanity’s beautiful true nature shone through. These are 28 photos that you simply must see before the end of the year.
ADREES LATIF / Reuters
Nick Wallenda walks along a 2-inch thick cable suspended over a gorge.
AP Photos/Discovery Channel, Tiffany Brown
This demonstrator was shot by rubber bullets in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.
Christophe Simon / AFP / Getty Images
A super hero window washer cheers up a sick child in Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Nacho Doce / Reuters
This heroic grandmother helped her grandchildren find refuge from a deadly fire in Australia.
Tim Holmes / AP
An anti-government protestor gives a rose to a Thai solder in Bangkok.
AP Photo/Wason Wanichakorn, File
This widow mourns the loss of her soldier husband in Afghanistan in Arlington National Cemetery.
Manuel Balce Ceneta / AP
Garrett McNamara attempts to break the Guinness World Record for largest wave surfed in Portugal.
Tó Mané / Barcroft Media / Landov
A boy carries his dog through flood waters in Manila, Philippines.
Catholics take pictures of the newly elected Pope Francis at the Vatican.
Michael Sohn / AP
A girl holds the hand of her mother that was deported to Mexico 6 years ago at the border fence in Arizona.
Samantha Sais /The New York Times / Redux Pictures
This brave woman attempted to stop a military bulldozer from running over an injured man in Cairo, Egypt.
Mohammed Abdel Moneim / AFP / Getty Images
A young man in India dangles from a power line as he attempts to escape flood waters rising from the Ganges river.
Sanjay Kanojia / AFP / Getty Images
A Pakistani man clutches a child he is carrying away from the scene of a car bomb in northern Pakistan.
Mohammad Sajjad / AP
This young man was caught committing suicide by jumping from a bridge in Wuhan, China, moments after his lover jumped herself.
STR / AFP / Getty Images
A man bravely rescues a woman from her car stuck on a flooded road in Athens in February.
John Kolesidis / Reuters
A sad little boy longingly looks into the temporarily closed National Zoo during the government shutdown.
Superbonnie via Reddt / Via reddit.com
This woman’s head is shaved as a symbol of mourning for the late Cambodian King before his funeral.
Wong Maye-E, File / AP Photo
Little boys play with toy guns in Afghanistan on the first day of Eid al-Adha.
Parwiz / Reuters
A Bahraini protestor was fully engulfed in flames as the gasoline bomb he was about to throw exploded in his hands.
Hasan Jamali / AP
A runner fell injured to the ground while police attempted to react to the Boston Marathon bombing.
ohn Tlumacki / The Boston Globe / AP
Onlookers watch as water gushes from China’s Yellow River as the government attempted to remove built-up silt.
China Stringer Network / Reuters
Runners share a moment of silence at the London Marathon in honor of what happened at the Boston Marathon.
Luke Macgregor / Reuters
Figo, a K-9 officer, mourns the loss of his partner Officer Jason Ellis.
onathan Palmer / Herald-Leader
Survivors of Super Typhoon Haiyan take part in a religious procession.
Philippe Lopez / AFP / Getty Images
A small boy grabs at his mother’s leg and cries during the aftermath of the 6.6 magnitude earthquake in the Sichuan Province in China.
Jason Lee / Reuters
An Air Force sergeant surprises his family during the New York Giants vs. Green Bay Packers game.
Brad Penner / USA TODAY Sports
An Indonesian child watches with awe as ash spewed from the top of Mt. Sinabung.
Roni Bintang / Reuters
Some of these events you may remember, some you may not. All of these images are worth sharing.
HOW TO MAKE IT AS A REAL WORLD PI….
1. Repeat after me, “I am not a cop, it is not my job to save the world, or see that truth and justice prevails; I am a private citizen, privately employed by a private party to further their best interests within the limits of the law (and common sense).”
2. If you allow yourself to get shot, or hit in the head, it will hurt just as bad whether you are in the right, or in the wrong, and either way, you are neither more, nor less, likely to recover.
3. Life can be JUST LIKE television and the movies – if you get yourself dead or debilitated, there will be an incredible outpouring of for an equally incredibly short period of time, and then none of those wonderfully sorrowful/sympathetic people will ever think of you, or mention you again.
4. You are in this for the money – do not feel bad about that, or apologetic. When my car quits, or my plumbing bursts, nobody comes racing to the rescue in the spirit of altruistic intent, and nobody with the sense God gave dirt should expect you to either. Get paid, get paid up front, and charge what the market will bear — Warner Brothers is not paying your bills.
5. DO NOT get emotionally involved in your cases. Most of your Clients will be sad, sorry, stupid sons-of-bitches who are in the mess they are in because they deserve to be. If you expect to meet the whore with a heart of gold, the thief with honest intentions, or a murderer with deep intellectual insights, you best be standing in line at the Cineplex.
6. NEVER expect things NOT to make sense. The way things first look, is usually the way they are unless you see Steven Spielberg hiding behind a curtain, do NOT look for complex twists and convoluted plots.
7. NEVER expect things TO make sense. Human beings are only at the top of the evolutionary scale because they are the only animals who can say they are – few other animals kill for the fun of it, deliberately end their own lives, or molest their own young. The way things first look, is usually the way they are . . . whether or not it makes any sense at all.
8. Accept NOBODY at face value – people believe in lifelong love, friends to the end, and the nobility of humanity because the concepts appeal to them, and they go thru life reading from the script until the script doesn’t suit them anymore. Look for the truth, and believe what you see; if you have no great expectations of humanity, you will rarely be disappointed.
9. Accept EVERYONE at face value within the circle of people that are your life. If you become very good at this job, you will see ugly truths where you need to see good things, you will recognize lies told by people you need to believe in, and you will sense evil when you need to have faith. Leave yourself the latitude to allow yourself some illusions.
10. This is it, this is all there is, it’s once around the track and there is no “do over.” Do it all the best you can, expect nothing more of yourself than the best you can do, and when you disappoint yourself today, try to do a little better tomorrow. If you do not enjoy your life, CHANGE IT!!!!.
“Summer set lip to earth’s bosom bare, And left the flushed print in a poppy there: Like a yawn of fire from the grass it came, And the fanning wind puffed it to flapping flame. With burnt mouth red like a lion’s it drank The blood of the sun as he slaughtered sank, And dipped its cup in the purpurate shine When the eastern conduits ran with wine.”
Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a “wake.”
England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a “bone-house” and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the “graveyard shift”) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be “saved by the bell” or was considered a “dead ringer.”
True love expels jealousy – A Russian proverb
True love implies jealousy – A Russian proverb
Mel Gibson tapes: Actor calls ex Oksana Grigorieva a ‘mentally deprived idiot’ that he ‘owns’
Mel Gibson reportedly went to a shrink when his relationship with Oksana Grigorieva unraveled.
LOS ANGELES – Even Mel Gibson knew it was nuts.
The “Braveheart” star reportedly went to a shrink when his explosive relationship with Oksana Grigorieva unraveled, it was reported Tuesday.
“He realized how unhealthy the relationship was and recognized that they were in a bad place and he was getting his buttons pushed,” a friend told “[He] wanted to figure out how to extricate himself from this unhealthy relationship peacefully and calmly.”
The pal says that’s exactly what Gibson, 54, did – though there was no peace or calm to be found in tapes of his blowups with the Russian-born baby mama.
In the latest tape, the “Mad Max” star is heard fighting with Grigorieva about money, pelting her with vicious insults, and using a racial slur in reference to the couple’s nanny.
He demands that the woman, who is apparently Latina, work only at his house, not Grigorieva’s.
“I will fire [her] if she is at your house. I will make it known, and I will fire her. I’ll report her to the f—ing people that take f—ing money from the wetbacks,” he said.
Grigorieva, 40, complains that Gibson made her broke by “possessing” her.
“You control me like a marionette. I don’t belong to myself, only to you. I can’t do anything, and I walk on eggshells always with you,” she says.
“That’s because you’re a f—ing whore. Now I own you,” the actor replies.
“I don’t have any money and no property assigned to me. That’s a gold digger for you? Are you insane?” she says.
Gibson, whose net worth is estimated at more than $500 million, goes ballistic and hints at money problems.
“You’re a f—ing mentally deprived idiot. You can’t even f—ing figure it out, I’m paying the tax money instead of the credit card. Don’t you get it?” he told his ex-lover.
On other tapes, Gibson purportedly admits he punched Grigorieva as she held their baby daughter and threatens to bury her in a rose garden.
He allegedly uses the N-word in another vile snippet.
Authorities have opened a domestic abuse investigation. Both sides sought restraining orders, now under seal.
The meltdown came after the “Braveheart” star allegedly tried to buy Grigorieva’s silence with $20 million, She reportedly turned him down because he wanted joint custody and she feared for their 8-month-old daughter’s safety.
Gibson’s camp later shot back with accusations of extortion.